With the turn of the calendar every year, the Jewish Community Foundation, Inc. starts to welcome SNJ community members apply for JCF Scholarship Awards.
The following is a reprint of the JCF's Money Matters column, published in the December 27, 2023 issue of the Jewish Community Voice, titled, "Scholarships Available for College, Israel Experiences, and More":
“I wanted to thank you for your generous financial support towards my college education and future endeavors. It truly means the world that I was chosen as your award recipient because I will strive to do great things! (W)ith your support, it has alleviated some of the financial burden (to pay for college) and for that I can only thank and appreciate your foundation. I (am) a finance major. I am beyond excited to pursue a career that teaches me to manage funding, so that one day I too can create funding for students like me who have big goals but don’t have the sufficient funds to cover their cost…Thank you so much for believing in me!”
Maya, a college student from South Jersey who received a scholarship award from the Jewish Community Foundation, Inc., shared this endearing thank-you note with us, and her story epitomizes what many of our awardees face when it comes to affording higher education.
Now, the JCF’s Board of Trustees (led by President Andi Levin) and Scholarship Committee (chaired by Carol Roth) are excited to launch our 2024 JCF Scholarship Awards to benefit more scholars like Maya. An estimated $40,000 will be available to help recipients defray the cost of post-high school education, technology, and Israel experiences.
If you or someone you know might qualify, the application deadline is Friday, March 8, 2024, at 4 p.m. Details and a link to our application portal can be found at jcfsnj.org/scholarships
Applicants may apply for as many awards as they choose. Typically, awardees earn a total of $500-$3,500. All awards last one year. Below is a brief description of each endowment fund award (note that unless otherwise indicated, applicants must reside in Burlington, Camden, or Gloucester counties):
• Colonel David Marcus Memorial Scholarship: New! We are pleased to launch this award for post-high school students attending a military academy or participating in a military program in the United States.
• Patrice Faye Cohen Memorial Scholarship: Benefits graduating high school women, who will be enrolled in a college or university, and plan to study entrepreneurship and/or aim to continue entrepreneurial ventures.
• Furer-Barag-Wolf Jewish War Veterans Post 126 Scholarship: For children or grandchildren of current or deceased members of the JWV Post 126 (applicant need not live locally).
• Valerie Gladfelter Scholarship: For Jewish girls and women who plan to enroll or are currently enrolled in a college or university degree-related program.
• Robert L. Schattner Scholarship/Mildred Soefer Scholarship/Student Opportunity Scholarship (In Memory of Arthur & Eleanor Klein and David Rivkin): For Jewish students who demonstrate financial need and plan to enroll or are currently enrolled in a college or university degree-related program.
• Seymour Siegel Youth Achievement: For Jewish high school seniors accepted to or who will be enrolled in post-high school education, who demonstrate financial need, and who are an orphan, fostered child, or being raised by a single parent.
• Leonard Jay Hirschfeld Memorial Award: For graduating high school students who demonstrate leadership abilities to purchase a laptop computer, software, or training in the computer sciences.
• Freda and Sam Yacker Israel Experience Award of the South Jersey Hebrew Association: For Jewish awardees who will attend any college or university related program in Israel, or any recognized summer programs to Israel, or for study in Israel in any recognized school or yeshiva.
• Jaclyn Ehrlich Travel Experience Award: For awardees who will attend any social action trip globally, any college or university related program in Israel, any recognized summer programs to Israel, or for study in Israel in any recognized school or yeshiva.
Apply today, and happy New Year!